Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tasty little morsels

Yummy Seed & Nut Bites!!

I just finished making a favourite recipe of mine. I call it 'Seed & Nut bites'. It is adapted from a recipe my Mum gave me a couple of years ago.

I used to eat some every night when I was pregnant and invariably woke up in the middle of the night starving! It is really easy, and yummy. Even Shawn loves it. Actually most people like it even if they perceive it as healthy food. It is reasonably healthy, but certainly not negative calorie. Life's too short.

Anyway, should you want to try it...

Seed & Nut bites
1 c sesame seeds
1 c sunflower seeds
1 c coconut
1 c cashew nuts (I mostly substitute these for pumpkin seeds)
1 c sultanas (may be substituted for dried apricots/prunes etc.)
1/4 c crystallised ginger (purely optional)
100g butter
¼ c honey (any type or Canadian maple syrup)
½ c brown sugar

Heat the first four ingredients one at a time in a frying pan (wok works best) until toasted & lighted browned.
Mix with the sultanas (or other dried fruit) in a bowl.
Melt butter, honey & brown sugar together in a saucepan.
Mix well with seeds & fruit.
Press into a pan so 2cms thick.
When nearly cold, cut into small squares.
Store in an airtight container.

No comments: