I was wondering late last year what to do with all the leftover solid soap bits that you invariably get at the end of the bar. They are not much fun to lather up with and I didn't fancy collecting them in some tulle and washing with them that way. I felt really guilty about just throwing them away so I starting looking for ideas to recycle it into new bars, and then I discovered it would just be easier to turn it into liquid hand soap. All I would need to have is some glycerin (which I had for making bubble mix).
Anyway I found various recipes on the Internet for liquid hand soap and adapted them to suit my leftovers and what I had in hand. It turned out fine although I had to leave a long time between blending in our blender (perhaps it is too strong! I used lavender essential oil as that is the only nice smelling one I had. I have manuka, t tree and eucalyptus but didn't fancy hand smelling like any of them.
Anyway, it is messy work but fun. The kids might enjoy helping you with this one!
Liquid Hand Soap with Essential Oils
:: Ingredients
1 bar soap (or many small pieces)
1 T honey
essential oil/s of your choice
1 t glycerin
water
:: Method
• Grate soap into small flakes and put in in blender.
• Add 1 c boiling water and blend.
• Add 1/2 c room temperature water and stir (do not blend!) in blender.
• Add honey, essential oils and glycerin, and stir (do not blend!) .
• Allow mix to cool (approx 15 minutes) then whip again.
• Mixture should be 2 cups at this point. Top with cool water until mixture measures between 5 and 6 cups (a blender full), whip.
• Pour into containers and allow to cool (do not put lids or caps on yet).
• After an hour, close containers. Soap mixture will thicken up.
• Shake before using as needed.
Optional: You can make this with herb infused water, just strain before using.
No comments:
Post a Comment