Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade Chalky Paint



Today there was a break in the weather so I made some outdoor chalk paint for Sofia to play with. It has some pretty great benefits.
  1. You can make it an any colour.
  2. The colours intensify when it drys (just like wet chalk).
  3. It does not stain clothing.
  4. It is cheap to make (usually with stuff already in your pantry).
  5. It is non-toxic and completely biodegradable.
  6. Oh, and did I mention that when it rains it washes clean away, just like chalk.

If you want to make your own, here's how.

Homemade Chalky Paint
:: Ingredients
Equal quantities of cornflour and water (i.e, 1/4 c of each)
A Few Drops of Food Coloring (I let Sofia choose the colour and dictate the intensity as I add the colouring drop by drop)

:: Method
1. Put the cornstarch in small containers (we use Sofia's painting contains from her easel)
2. Add the water and stir until a smooth paste
3. Add a few drops of food coloring (or use some natural items such as turmeric, flowers, or beetroot)
4. Stir again to combine


Then let them go crazy outside. It makes for the treat of painting without the stress of the mess afterwards for the parents. : )

2 comments:

kate said...

I don't have kids but that is a great idea. I remember as a kid mum sending us outside to 'paint the house' with a bucket of water with a very small amount of colouring in it and a big paint brush. We loved it!

Heart Felt said...

Wonderful...you have so many great crafty ideas to do with kids...love it. xx