Monday, April 27, 2009

If you have a glut of feijoas


You should make some yummy feijoa chutney..

I found this recipe last year when I had been gifted two huge bags of feijoas and wasn't too sure what to do with them. I just love the hint of ginger with the feijoas. Actually I heard someone say recently that ginger is to feijoas what cinnamon is to apples. Makes total sense to me.

Feijoa Chutney

::Ingredients
1.5kg feijoas
1kg onions
1/2c crystallised ginger
2c sultanas
2c brown sugar
1T cloves (ground)
3T curry powder
2T salt
1L malt vinegar
::Method
Cut and remove feijoas from their skins, cut onions and finely slice the ginger. Combine with all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to the boil while stirring from time to time. Simmer until thick (you may wish to add some cornflour to assist this process). Once thickened, pour into sterilised and warmed jars and seal immediately.

Makes 4 large or 8 small jars. Best eaten a month or so after making (more flavoursome).

I have made two lots of chutney this year. Once at my mothers place, and again the Friday before Easter. This recipe is particularly delicious.

2 comments:

nome said...

hey i may just try this one, i have a bag on the kitchen floor that naomi is slowly eating through!

Louise said...

looks delicious! I made lots of feijoa jelly last year using the Edmonds book recipe. Also very yum.