Saturday, June 25, 2011

Our garden

The fact that the seasons dictate so much about how much we can accomplish in the garden is a beautiful thing, I love spring because it is so full of promise and I know that barring any disasters much of what we plant will grow well. At the moment the garden could do with some more plants, but it is so sodden out there that I doubt anything would grow.

Shawn has a natural flair for gardening which I know he wishes he could spend more time doing, rather than just planning in his head while he is off earning the precious money which allows me to be the Mama I want to be. We have made some serious changes to our garden already and it is still evolving.

When we moved in a year and a half ago, with a 2 year old daughter and a newborn son, the front garden looked like this.

Shawn dug up the pebbles and a mountain of yellow plastic liner, so we could plant out a succulent garden from the plants we had collected up of the past few years. Some we grew in pots on our windowsill in our inner-city apartment. Others we acquired when we moved to our first house in the suburbs.

Anyway, now it looks like this. Sadly, the mushroom light was broken during the bonsai-ing of the conifer tree : (.

Slowly but surely it is changing.


Some of the biggest changes are out the back of the house.
Thought I show you some of the amazing stuff that Shawn does around here to transform this house and garden into a home for us.

We we got the house almost exactly one and half years ago this is what it looked like in the area behind the double garage. Pretty hideous right. Well that summer we planted six zucchini behind there and grew an abundance of our friends the zucchini.

At the end of summer Shawn repaired the retaining wall and put in a rainwater catchment tank
It has gone from looking a little like a tip, to being a place to grow veges and house our lovely chicken girls. They laid four eggs yesterday! Gorgeous fresh eggs.

Before

and pre-chickens...

... and now.

No comments: