Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recycling old crayons

Have you ever wondered what to do with your old crayons? You know, the ones that are so small they baby might eat them, or so covered in other colours they have stopped colouring just one colour. Well I found this great idea for crayon recycling here.

When I was working in the early childhood centre for my University placement, I thought I would give it a go for them as a way to say thanks for having me. So, I collected all the really small pieces of crayon that I could find over a couple of days and took them all home.

My Mum had given me a bunch of trays that she used to use for catering weddings (that was back in the days when we would help for $5 p/h) that she no longer uses. So I melted down all the yucky crayons and made these for the lovely children I had been working with. They are so cool.


It is definitely something I would try again, although not with children... Liquid wax is super dangerous. They can assist with the colour sorting like Sofia's Grandma Gloria did. That part was so much fun! You could use shaped moulds too if you had them.

1 comment:

Heart Felt said...

What a great idea! thanks so much!