Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Food Forests


I just borrowed a great DVD from my local library. I discovered it while I was doing a search of related topics and thought it might be interesting. I have to warn you that the presenter Geoff Lawton was extremely knowledgeable but dry.

It begins with little lecture on the
the essential principles of "time stacking" your garden with the right mix of support species that feed and protect your fledgling fruit trees into maturity.
Then we go out in the field as he puts the theory into action, planting the seeds and watching the system grow.

Finally he shows us the amazing Tagari Farm which was planted according to Permaculture techniques ad then abandoned. It is amazing what has happened with no human interference whatsoever.

Check out a preview here, or request it from your local library. You'll be amazed, I promise.



The bonus features include a very interesting interview with a guy who purchased an amazing 30 Year Old Food Forest, a 300 Vietnamese Year Old Food Forest, and a 2000 Year Old Food Forest in the middle of the Moroccan desert.

No comments: