Sunday, April 10, 2011

Peanut Butter


Today Shawn made our second batch of homemade peanut butter.

A while back he said 'Hey why don't we make our own peanut butter?" I said "Ummm, because we buy it from the Farmers Market" (or something like that). Shortly after reminding myself that if I can make from scratch , I should. At least that is what the sixth on my new things/new year article says...

So, I made the first batch and Shawn made our second. Mine was lighter in colour than his and slightly chunkier. His has more flavour though as I think the roasting process brings this out. Anyway, yum is the end result is divine and needless to say, we won't be buying peanut butter again.

If you want to try it out. Here's the recipe.

P E A N U T B U T T E R
:: Ingredients
1 c peanuts
2 T oil (peanut oil or any other vegetable oil that doesn't have a strong taste)
pinch of salt

:: Method

Roast and shell peanuts. (You may leave the red skin on if you like the taste). Now put the peanuts in the food processor. Add the oil and the salt. Start the food processor and check after a minute or so.

If you like chunks of peanuts in the butter don't grind it for too long. But if you prefer a smooth paste, grind them longer till its smooth. If the butter seems too thick, add some more oil to it.



1 comment:

hanna said...

yum, I must do this again, also almond butter and cashew butter are good.