Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ginger beer - update


Here it is as promised an update on the ginger beer.


After using the recipe from the 1950's I uncovered courtesy of the Dunedin public library, we have this rather large 3L bottle of ginger beer bubbling away in a quite corner of our kitchen.


I have to report that I did not "Macgyver" the bottle, that was the lovely Shawn. The oversize 42below vodka bottle kept blowing its cork every couple of hours or so on day five. So Shawn decided to offer it a nicer way to let it brew, and rigged up the water bubbler on the side. Very impressive stuff.


So far the sugar content has lowered, and the ginger taste and the fizz are up. Good stuff! Now if only I can leave it for another week before I partake.


I'll let you know what it tastes like next week.

1 comment:

Little Miss Flossy said...

I'm looking forward to your verdict! We're making the recipe from the latest World Sweet World mag which is similar to one my parents used to make - no yeast. It will be interesting to compare ;-)