Monday, December 29, 2008

Ginger beer


This is a super old recipe from the Women's Weekly back in the 50's. I found it in an archive belonging to Dunedin Library. I've been meaning to give it a go for ages as I adore ginger beer. It is great on its own or as a base for punch. I often make punch during the festive season, and also for celebrations.
For ease of making I have translated the measurements from imperial for you.
:: Ingredients
1 lemon (juice)
3 c sugar
1 T ginger (finely sliced)
1 T baker's yeast (I intend to use "live yeast" from Nosh)
6-8 c boiling water, then make up to approximately 4 litres with cold water
:: Method
Slice lemon and ginger and put into a container more than a few litres in size.
Add sugar and 6-8 cups of boiling water.
Make up to approximately 4 litres with cold water, so liquid is lukewarm.
Crumble in the yeast, cover and leave to stand overnight.
The next day, strain and bottle.

I'm going to give it a go during January when I'm back from my holiday at the beach. I promise to let you know how it goes. If you make it before me, be sure to let me know.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Have you tried this yet? I was thinking about making ginger beer last year but never got around to it.