Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Our favourite Christmas tradition and our tree


Well here is our tree for 2008. We are artificial treeing it which I admit might seem a little sad, but actually not unlike my own childhood. I don't think my parents could bring themselves to cut down a tree every year. I admit that I feel the same way. We have the easiest job when it comes to decorating it as half the job is done already as the tree is fibre optic (my husband the electrician) and it has these ball things on it. So, we add our eclectic bunch of decorations to the tree and voila! Like magic our tree is decorated. I like to be int eh decorating moment for more than just a few seconds though. I love trees... So I make it last a couple of hours. Some day the honour will be Sofia's, but until then I will enjoy the honour.


Since Shawn and I first spent Christmas together we have purchased a decoration for each other every year. Last year Sofia got one from Nana, one from Nanny, one from us and one from her Great Auntie B. She now has more than we do! This year we got her a mistletoe fairy. Seen in this post. I got Shawn a cute elf holding a unwieldy pile of books. I love that our collection is personal and it has meaning. When Sofia is old enough to remember, she will know which are hers. When she grows up and has her own family, her decorations will go with her to be treasured by the next generation. This is just one of our family Christmas traditions.



Here are some of our favourite decorations...

Bling bling teddy (Sofia's from Nanny Christmas 2007)




Christmas jandal (Shawn's from me on our first Christmas)




Ratty (Mine from Shawn last year, he got it in Melbourne when visiting with a friend)


The "oohh" face (just because, it was Sofia's 1st Christmas in 2007)




The Amstel Angel (Shawn's from me, made by African AIDS orphans out of a recycled beer can)

No comments: