Sunday, November 16, 2008

Japan Day


After spending some of my formative years and almost six years in total in living in Japan, it is almost compulsory for me to love all things Japanese. Sofia's middle name is also Japanese (Tomoko meaning friendly child)


Today was Japan Day in Auckland. In fact it wasn't too far from where we live. We stopped by to take a look. We decided it was good that we weren't going for the food. The queues were like waiting for a train at rush hour, stretching around the corner of each tent!


There was some live music, both contemporary and traditional. Shawn found a bonsai teacher in Auckland! That is great, because he has been practicing bonsai at home sans instructions for more than a year. I got to talk to a potter who might even be more addicted to Japanese pottery than me. I never thought that was possible! I also got a chance to play a kinryo/taishoo goto (mini Japanese harp). Sofia got a carp streamer. I don't care that it is for boys day, because it is so cute. It is a mini version of these fabulous ones.


1 comment:

flapjacs said...

Cool! Hi Stacey, thanks for popping into my blog. Six years in Japan. That's a long time!
I'd definitely be up for swaps - magazines, jaffas that kind of kiwi stuff is right up my alley. Let me know what you are interested in getting and we'll make it happen.

I love your bunting, very cool with the felt flowers. Drop me a line on my gmail.com address. meeabee(at)