Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A plan ahead break


I did something spontaneous this morning. I was thinking about camping holidays with Sofia this summer and remembered something wonderful. When I was the HR Coordinator for Auckland Zoo I was offered a rare privilege. I had the chance to release a 20 day old North Island brown kiwi into the creche (and predator free) island of Motuora. The BNZ kiwi recovery programme works there in conjunction with the Auckland Zoo. Anyway I drove my charge up to Sandspit in Leigh with a colleague and we took her across to Motuora by water taxi. She was released into that wonderful sanctuary later that morning.

While I was there I remembered not wanting to leave. It was so peaceful there, and I really wanted to be there when all the young kiwi came out at night to explore the island. There is something rather special about seeing or hearing our national bird in their natural habitat.

Anyway, I decided to call and see if I could rent the bach on Motuora. You can camp there, but you come by water taxi anyway, so you may as well stay in their one and only old school bach. The only other accomodation is only a DOC manager house on the island. There is of course space to camp.
So I have booked a place for us in the bach one weekend in early March next year. I am so excited. Sofia might never remember this trip, but Shawn and I will.
If you are interested in what other DOC baches there are around New Zealand. Just follow this link and check it out!

2 comments:

Heart Felt said...

Wow! That just sounds wonderful...can I come? Hope you don't mind, but I have tagged you for a 'book tag' game. xx

flapjacs said...

WoW!!!! I love that area, we go there everytime we visit NZ. Little road trip just out of Auckland, not so far, so much to see along the way.
SOOOOO jealous.